Almond storage at home
A few grams of almonds per day can strengthen hair and nails, tooth enamel and even stop the aging process. The kernels are valued for their unique taste and unique properties, used in cosmetology, perfumery, the manufacture of medicines and, of course, culinary. To enjoy all the benefits of the product all year round, you need to know how to store almonds.
How to peel almonds properly
When there is a need to peel the kernels a lot and often, use a nut cracker (a device that looks like tongs with a recess). Most often this is a one-time job, for which available tools are suitable.
- A steel or wooden hammer is always in the house. You can easily calculate the impact force so as not to damage the core.
- Pliers. The principle of operation is identical with a nut cracker. Squeeze the fruit with an edge across the lips, squeeze the handles.
- Garlic press or garlic press. The same principle. Convenient for the presence of a hollow.
It is better not to use aluminum improvised means: the material is not designed for such loads and the device will quickly break down. Sometimes it is necessary to peel the almond kernel.
Important! When chopped with a hammer, the fetus must be positioned with an edge. Thus, the flaps will split, and the core will remain intact.If you wrap a fetus in a tissue, shell fragments will not fly apart.
There are several ways:
- soak the product overnight in water, compress the peel in the morning, the core will pop out;
- quick way: pour boiling water over the fruits or boil for 1-2 minutes.
To speed up the process, place the blanched product on a waffle towel, cover, rub until the skin is peeled.
Video: how to peel almonds
How to dry nuts
Drying nuts at home is the safest way to harvest: you reliably know the time and place of conservation. You can dry the cores in a wide variety of options: from drying on a battery to billet in the oven and on charcoal. Due to the high content of fats and proteins, almonds can not only be dried, but also roasted.
Did you know? Almonds are bitter and sweet. The first contains toxic substances, it is used in medicine and cosmetology after special treatment. The second is used in cooking.
There are two general rules for temperature conditions:
- peeled nut is harvested at a temperature of 120 ° C;
- dried peeled kernels must be dried at 90 ° C.
The peeled almonds are fried in a pan for 3-5 minutes, and for the harvester it will take 5-6 hours. Drying in the stove occurs after complete burning of firewood. A sieve with cores is placed on red-hot bricks, they open the shutter: they are harvested in the heat and open air at the same time.
How to store unpeeled almonds
The product in the peel is stored for longer, less demanding, well preserves its useful and taste properties.
Did you know? When baking bread for the pharaohs, almonds were added, since it was considered an analogue of an aphrodisiac.
However, it requires attention:
- for storage choose well-dried fruits, intact, without moldy and rusty manifestations;
- ideal packaging for breathability: a box, a tightly closed can, a paper or fabric bag;
- a dark, cool, dry place;
- optimal air humidity - up to 70%;
- with decreasing temperature of the product, the shelf life increases: from -15 to 0 degrees - 5 years, from 0 to +20 - 2 years.
Fresh raw product purchased in the season significantly saves the budget, so it is beneficial to do your homework on your own. One difficulty is to clean the kernels manually. To save time, housewives purchase peeled nuts.
How to store peeled almonds
Seeds that have not undergone heat treatment are the best choice. The amount of vitamin A and group B in the content of green almonds is much greater than in fried over high heat.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to thaw and freeze almonds repeatedly. Walnut loses its beneficial properties, taste and appearance. Oil released during defrosting causes oxidation.
Proper storage conditions, how much can be stored:
- cool, dry, dark place with good ventilation - up to 6 months;
- vacuum packaging, sealed polyethylene, tightly closed cans - up to 6 months, after - according to the manufacturer's terms (written on the package);
- in the refrigerator compartment in the vegetable department - up to 12 months;
- in the freeze - 1-2 years;
- chopped walnut and almond flour from the kernels last up to 2 months.
It’s right to buy kernels of the same shape, one crop and one batch. You can not store the product without packaging, in the open form - after a couple of weeks it will become rancid.
How to store green almonds
To save green nuts at home, you need to follow the same rules as peeled.Do not mix this product with other types of nuts: the oils released will spoil the taste of the whole mixture, the shelf life will be significantly reduced. The best way to harvest green kernels at home is to freeze, but before that, the product must be thoroughly dried. In addition, the type of capacity during freezing does not matter.
If almonds have a pungent odor with bitterness, further storage is unsafe. The product cannot be reanimated. In this case, you should immediately throw it away. The same fate awaits a product covered with mold and insects: externally, it may be washed off, but the bacteria will remain. It is recommended to immediately shift the nuts from the opened plastic packaging into another packaging, otherwise they will quickly deteriorate and ... into the trash.How to store almonds depends on how much benefit it brings. Almonds are a storehouse of a huge amount of substances necessary for humans. To summarize, we can summarize the conditions for storing nuclei in a home environment: a non-hot, dry place, without a direct light source, with adequate ventilation.