The benefits and harms of hazel and its bark
Spreading hazel bushes can often be found in the wild, as well as in summer gardens and in personal plots. The fruits of this plant are highly valued for their excellent taste, high nutritional and medicinal properties, and there are not often contraindications to their use. The article is devoted to the use of hazelnuts in folk medicine.
Where does hazel grow and what does hazel look like
Corylus heterophylla or hazel variegated is a deciduous shrub belonging to the Birch family. This is an ordinary plant for the Far East, China, Mongolia, the Korean Peninsula and the Japanese islands.
Tree-like bushes prefer to grow on the hills and walls of ravines, among oaks and in mixed forests.
- has an extensive crown and skeleton, consisting of 3-7 main branches;
- grows in height from 3 to 5 m, often forms dense shady thickets that impede the vegetation of other plants;
- covered with green rounded leaves with pointed ends;
- blooms and bears fruiting very early, ripe fruits have a diameter of 12-14 mm, the kernel of the nut is covered with a thin, strong, light brown shell;
- extremely stable, not afraid of low temperatures and lack of watering, due to which the shrub successfully grows in Siberia;
- easy to care for, fully fruiting in partial shade, compacted crown is painlessly formed by pruning;
- annually knits nuts for several decades.
Important! Since hazel does not tolerate stagnation of moisture in the roots, it is important that the soil is not flooded by spring floods and water stagnation does not occur in it.
The chemical composition and calorie content of hazel
Hazelnuts are often called hazelnuts, they are inherent in numerous nutritional and healing properties. One of the most valuable is the high content of vitamin E (15.03 mg / 100 g), which contributes to human youth and fertility, as well as preventing platelet adhesion and preventing the formation of varicose veins. They have many B vitamins that strengthen nerves, potassium, which lowers blood pressure, calcium and phosphorus - elements responsible for strong bones and teeth.
|Vitamins contained:||Fatty acids, minerals:|
|vitamin C 6.3 mg||calcium - 114 mg|
|thiamine 0.643 mg||iron - 4.70 mg|
|riboflavin 0.113 mg||magnesium - 163 mg|
|1,800 mg niacin||phosphorus - 290 mg|
|Vitamin B6 0.563 mg||potassium - 680 mg|
|folic acid 113 mcg||zinc - 2.45 mg|
|Vitamin E 15.03 mg||saturated - 4.464 g|
|vitamin K 14.2 mcg||monounsaturated - 45.652 g|
|polyunsaturated - 7.920 g|
Hazel fruits are a treasury of potassium (680 mg / 100 g), which regulates blood pressure. In addition, they contain a lot of fiber (9.7 mg / 100 g) and unsaturated fatty acids that lower the level of “bad” cholesterol and increase the amount of “good” HDL, which prevents the development of atherosclerosis. Their nuclei are rich in arginine - an amino acid that turns into nitric oxide in the body, as a result of which the lumen of blood vessels increases and their smooth muscles relax.
Nutritional value of hazelnuts (per 100 g):
- calories 628 kcal;
- protein 14.95 g;
- fats 60.75 g;
- carbohydrates 16.70 g (including simple sugars 4.34);
- fiber 9.7 g
Useful properties of hazel
It is advisable to include hazelnuts in the menu for diseases of the heart and blood vessels, such as atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, cerebral sclerosis, ischemia. Regularly consumed, this product will bring significant benefits to the health of the patient, as it is saturated with magnesium, potassium and healthy fats.
Important! It is best to buy hazelnuts in shells. The peeled kernels are poorly stored and quickly become rancid under the influence of the sun and heat, since they are not protected by the shell from moisture and other adverse conditions.
Hazelnuts support the heart, contribute to the strength of the arterial walls, improve blood, have a positive effect on nerves and digestion, help the gall bladder function better, accelerates the absorption of nutrients and slows down the onset of old age.
Also, this product should be present on the menu of vegetarians, to replenish the body with many vitamins, proteins and fatty acids. Due to its low sugar content, hazelnuts are a dietary product and are suitable for use by diabetics or people who want to lose weight. The benefits of common hazel are not only in fruits, substances important for the human body are also present in non-lignified stems, leaves, and bark.
- The healing properties of hazel:
- astringents and antipyretic;
- dilating arterial vessels;
- reducing inflammatory processes;
- promoting regeneration.
Did you know? The ancient Romans gave the newlyweds the seedlings of hazelnuts, and used torches from the branches of the bush at the wedding ceremony, as they believed that the tree provides a long and happy married life.
Contraindications to the use of hazel
Like any other product, hazel has both beneficial properties and contraindications. There are not so many prohibitions for moderate use of hazelnuts. The only serious objection is the manifestation of allergic reactions. In order not to harm the body, an adult should not eat more than 10-15 kernels per day, otherwise it can cause heaviness in the stomach or indigestion. For babies, the daily norm is much lower - no more than 1-2 nuts.
The use of hazel in medicine
Modern phytotherapists recommend to patients hazelnuts when coughing, for which it is enough to add chopped nut kernels in milk or water with honey and drink the mixture in a warm form. A decoction for external use is prepared from the leaves and bark of the plant, with the help of which the varicose veins are healed.
Did you know? Ferrero SpA, producer of Nutella dessert pasta and Ferrero Rocher chocolate, uses 25% of the world's hazelnut supply to make these sweets.
Doctors prescribe hazel infusions for poor digestion, vascular and urinary tract diseases, and parasitic infections. Walnut oil has a healing effect, quickly removes irritation and redness of the skin, reduces pain and stimulates regeneration.
In folk medicine, chopped nuts are used to relieve dermatological inflammation and swelling in the form of ointments and lotions. The cosmetic industry produces scrubs, which include hazelnuts, their purpose is to cleanse problem skin from teenage acne and black spots. Women in the postpartum period treat the skin with specialized creams with hazelnuts to remove stretch marks and cellulite formed during the period of bearing the baby.
Hazel fruits are very effective in improving or restoring potency, as they are a rich source of vitamin E, which is necessary to maintain the proper functioning of the human reproductive organs. Its deficiency reduces the secretion of gonadotropin, which promotes sperm degeneration in men.
Group B vitamins (especially niacin, i.e. vitamin B3 - 1800 mg / 100 g) increase fertility because they support the secretion of sex hormones and also strengthen nerves and memory. Hazelnuts have a lot of magnesium (163 mg / 100 g) that performs similar functions. Therefore, you need to eat nuts during periods of increased mental stress, stress and general fatigue.
Did you know? In ancient times, thin Y-shaped branches of hazel were used to search for underground water sources (biolocation method), as well as ores and minerals.
Recipes of traditional medicine:
- With varicose veins - 2 tbsp. l crushed hazel bark pour 500 ml. freshly boiled water is corked with a lid and left to infuse for a period of 10 to 12 hours.The finished drug is filtered through a fine sieve and taken in 2 tbsp. 15 minutes before meals.
- From thrombophlebitis and varicose veins - 6 tablespoons of hazel leaves are finely chopped and placed in a glass dish with a tight lid. Then add 500 ml of vodka there, close and place in a dark, warm place for up to 7 days for infusion. At the end of the preparation, it is recommended to strain the product and drink 40 drops twice a day, regardless of the meal.
- For bronchitis and cough - pour 50 nuts kernels with a glass of warm water, insist for 10 hours. Next, hazelnuts must be crushed and left in the same liquid for another 3 hours, then boil the mass and separate from solid particles through cheesecloth. In the tool add 1.5 tbsp. honey, 5 tbsp. cream. After thorough mixing, nut milk is obtained, which should be drunk twice a day in a tablespoon before eating.
- To increase lactation for nursing mothers It is worth consuming from 10 to 15 hazelnuts per day, washed down with warm green tea.
- From worms within 3 weeks, it is recommended to take peanut butter 1 tablespoon 4 times a day half an hour before meals.
- From anemia and constant fatigue grind into small crumbs 250 ml of hazelnut kernels and mix with half a glass of honey. Eat three times a day (before meals) for 2 tbsp. l., holding in the mouth until completely dissolved.
- From prostatitis - peel 2 kg of hazel from the shell, then fill it with 3 liters. water and cook for 3 minutes. Next, the mixture must be wrapped and left to evaporate for 4 hours. After cooling, the drug should be stored in a cool place. During treatment, the broth is drunk for 2-3 tbsp. per day for 2 months. After a break of at least 14 days, the course is repeated.
Hazel in cooking
The wonderful taste of nuts makes them a great addition to salads and various pastries. They go well with sweet and spicy dishes, cakes, pies and cookies. The hazelnut oil obtained from hazel is a delicious spread of bread (bun) for tea, and for a long time provides a person with satiety. The oil obtained as a result of hazelnut pressing is used in cosmetology, food and pharmaceutical industries.
It is an integral part of perfumes, creams, soaps, scrubs and tanning preparations. It is also used to make homemade skin care products by adding egg yolk, honey and lemon to get a moisturizing face mask using only natural ingredients. Such environmentally friendly natural cosmetics is very effective, as it smoothes wrinkles and slows down aging.
Walnut oil should be consumed cold, it is stored at room temperature for about a month. After the expiration date, the product usually acquires a rancid taste and loses nutritional value.
Hazel shrub is a very useful plant, because in addition to an abundant harvest of delicious nuts, it can provide people with medicinal raw materials for treating various diseases. Due to its unpretentiousness, this hazel can grow in almost any part of Russia.