How to make a garter, currant stand and gooseberry
Since the sphere of agriculture is constantly evolving, the methods of garter currants and gooseberries are somewhat modified and improved. All the methods that can be read in this review involve the use of materials that are not difficult to find at home and do not require special physical preparation.
Ways to properly currant currants
When a gardener is engaged in growing currants, he must know the basic methods of garter culture. Not only the appearance of the bush, but also the health of the plant depends on the proper implementation of the technology. If the garter is not carried out correctly (incorrect layouts or the use of low-quality materials), then it can harm the bushes. Currants are a variety of crops that require minimal but high quality care.
Did you know? Currants along with honeysuckle and viburnum most effectively removes radioisotopes from the human body.
Based on the feedback from gardeners, a simple garter method is suitable if the bushes are planted at a distance of 80-100 cm from each other. This condition is necessary so that the supports of each plant do not interfere with neighboring shrubs.
The essence of a simple method, which is based on a single frame, is to drive pegs into the ground around the plant. They are placed in such a way that a square is obtained. Driven stakes must be connected by horizontal wooden planks to which the gardener must tie fruit branches.
If you decide to fix the currant to the trellis, then you must first think over the basis (in other words, the frame). The process of garter on the trellis consists of the following steps:
- When planting gooseberries in rows, small stakes are driven along the edges of each of them, the height of which should be 30 cm higher than the height of the bush.
- A soft wire or rope is pulled over the stakes. One edge is tied to the first support, and the second to the opposite stake. The rope should be tightly stretched, and not sag with pressure on it.
- Shoots of the bush are tied to ropes. To do this, take a fabric tape or flexible wire, one edge of which is tied to the end of the shoot, and the second to a stretched rope.
The advantage of this method of garter is that as the bush grows, you can increase the height of the stakes. And to increase the amount of flexible material (wire, etc.) is easier compared to wooden planks, as in a simple method. This will allow the plant not to deform in the development process. Especially when a large number of fruits will form on the shoots, which will create pressure on the branches.
Proper gooseberry garter
When growing gooseberries, it is necessary to tie up the shoots so that they do not break under the weight of the berries. Proper garter allows you to maintain the "integrity" of the bush in windy weather.There are several types of fixation of gooseberries. All of them are simple in execution, and do not require large time and physical expenses.
Did you know? The green fruits of gooseberries and currants contain 4 times more nutrients than ripe ones. But such fruits are not suitable for making jam and desserts.
Classic-shaped bush garter
Such a garter is considered the simplest. Dangling shoots are first selected. Around the plant set the grid. Its height should be 40 cm higher than the shrub. Selected shoots are attached to the grid, passing them through its holes.
Garter of a standard plant
To tie up a standard plant, it is enough to use one support. To do this, choose a single pole, the height of which is 50 cm, and a diameter of 5 cm. To this support the plant is attached with a rope during planting. In the future, shoots that are formed below the height of the trunk must be removed. This will prevent the growth of the lower layer of the bush, which is in contact with the soil. The upper part of the plant will grow upward, aiming for sunlight. The disadvantage of this method is its low resistance to windy weather.
The formation of gooseberries on a stem is 1-year first, 2 - second year; 3- third year.
Experienced gardeners, most often, use a garter to the trellis. This method is not difficult to implement, since it does not require a lot of physical activity. The U-shaped trellis method is suitable for both experienced summer residents and beginners. The first thing a gardener should do is measure the distance from the bushes.
Important! During the garter, you cannot tightly attach the rope or wire to the shoots. This can provoke breakage of branches, a decrease in yield indicators.
To carry out the garter, you need to install vertical stakes around the bush. Their height should be 0.7–1.0 m. After that, horizontal wooden boards are placed, which are attached to the frame.
The distance between the vertical supports should be 40 cm. The optimal amount is 5 pcs. After that, horizontal boards are attached. The distance between them is 30 cm. The first bar is fixed with screws at a height of 10 cm from the ground.From the plant, the longest shoots are selected, which are tied to horizontal trellises. For fastening, use soft ropes or natural fabric. Such materials are characterized by a gentle effect on the branches.
The essence of the U-shaped trellis is as follows:
- On three sides of the bush set vertical stakes. To do this, retreat 50 cm from the central shoot.
- The stakes “unite” among themselves with ropes or wire. The distance between adjacent connections must be at least 30 cm.
- The shoots protruding from the crown are attached to the wire (rope).
The advantage of this method is that there is no fence on one side of the bush. This allows you to freely pass to the shrub, and to care for it.
Key Garter Errors
In the process of growing currants and gooseberries, mistakes are made. Many gardeners do not know the basic nuances of plant garter, while others simply ignore them. If you make a mistake in the process of tying the bushes, this can negatively affect the condition of the plant (its growth is disturbed, the density of the crown and the number of ovaries).
Important! For the manufacture of supports, you can use the branches of fruit trees or oak. Choose only shoots with a diameter of about 5 cm.
When a gardener is engaged in garter currants, he can make the following inaccuracies:
- too tight mount to the support. Such an error can lead to the death of or drying out of branches;
- complete lack of fixation of shoots. As a result, the number of ovaries decreases, and most of the crop is lost.
If you decide to grow gooseberries, then you must not make the following mistakes in the garter:
- Do not attach a wire or rope to it. Do not allow scratches to form on the shoot surface;
- tie both the upper and lower branches of the plant. If you fix only the upper shoots, sunlight will penetrate poorly into the lower part of the shrub, which will slow down the ripening of berries;
- fix in cloudy weather to avoid too aggressive exposure to sunlight on the shoots.
Currant and gooseberry guard
In the domestic market there are a large number of various designs of fences. And although they appeared recently, their popularity is increasing annually. Many gardeners prefer to use fences from improvised materials that can be made at home.So you will save not only time searching for the right option, but also money.
A wooden fence is constructed as follows:
- Choose wooden stakes, whose height is 70–90 cm.
- They are driven around the bush at a distance of 30 cm from each other.
- Smooth branches are tied to driven wooden poles. Satin ribbons or thin ropes (not more than 0.5 cm in diameter) are used for fixation.
Video: Wooden props for currant and gooseberry bushes
The fence made of metal pipes is the most durable. Creating a bush holder at home is not difficult. It is enough to prepare several metal pipes of small diameter.
5 pieces of steel pipes are driven along the perimeter of the shrub. Their optimal height is 70 cm. A wooden block (10 × 20 cm) is installed in the hole of the pipe. Narrow boards (up to 10 cm) are fastened to each of the beams, which will serve as a support. To fix the structural elements together, use self-tapping screws.
From PVC pipes
To create a fence of PVC pipes, the following materials will be required:
- fiberglass reinforcement. Its diameter should be 4 mm and its length should be 4 m.
- plastic pipes (4 m);
- plugs that are installed on the pipes. Enough 7 pcs.
Step-by-step installation procedure:
- Small racks are cut from a plastic pipe. Their number should be 7 pieces, and the length of the rack - 50 cm.
- A small hole is made in each rack at a height of 5 cm from the base.
- Fiberglass fittings are threaded through holes.
- Supports drive along the perimeter of the bush at an equal distance from each other.
- The racks are aligned with the ground surface and a cap is fixed on each.
If you do all the work correctly, then the result is a design of a presentable appearance. It will be strong and durable.
Supports for currant and gooseberry bushes
The variety of props for currant bushes and gooseberries is striking. On the market you can find a variety of designs made of durable materials.The gardener can independently decide which option to stop. It all depends on the conditions and planting patterns. Also, the choice of material depends on the desired operating life.
Metal supports are ideal for those who want to spend money once, and do not think about replacing for several decades. They are made of stainless steel, which does not show signs of corrosion and rust (due to wind or rain).
To build the support at home, it is necessary to prepare scraps of metal pipes. They are driven around the bush, and are interconnected by slats. The length of each rack should be 50–70 cm. Fasten the slats and pipes with self-tapping screws.
Video: Metal support for gooseberries and currants
Wooden coasters are presentable, but serve no more than 2-3 years. For their production, it is necessary to prepare 4 pegs made of solid wood (oak or cherry). Wooden stakes are installed at an equal distance from each other, and are interconnected by thin boards. The distance between the bases depends on the size of the bushes.Use small screws that will not protrude from the structure. If you are not making a stand in the garden, be prepared for the fact that fencing a bush with it is time-consuming. There is a risk of damaging the shoots of the plant. To prevent this, build a stand directly around the bush.
Garter currants and gooseberries is a simple, but mandatory procedure. A summer resident can use different options, depending on the type of plant and planting pattern. The only important thing is that the garter is a necessary stage in the care of crops, on which the future harvest depends.